Thursday, February 14, 2008

St Valentine's Day


Valentine's Day is celebrated around the world on the 14th of February. In western countries such as North America and Europe, it is a tradition for lovers to express their feelings by sending Valentine's Day cards, bouquet of flowers and confectionery such as chocolates and sweets.

In Japan, we celebrate it quite differently. On the 14th of February, the girls will give chocolates to the guys, while the guys will return the favour 1 month later on the 14th of March. I first learnt about Valentine's Day when I was about 10 years old. I bought 3 boxes of chocolates, all wrapped in pink paper. I put one of it in my teacher's shoe box, and wrote my name on it ;) The other 2, I gave them to my father and grandfather.

Sometimes, we take the opportunity to give presents to say thank you to the other person as well. However, if you fancy someone, then it's a culture to make original chocolates or presents to show your affection. Many stores in Japan will be selling chocolates in fancy wrapping and boxes, in all types of brands and choices. Quite a sight, actually.

Today, I made some chocolate on my own, following a recipe from a book. I gave some to my father, brother, uncle, cousin, mother, aunt to show them my appreciation. I also made a special one to my boyfriend, to show him much I love him.

I wonder how Valentine's Day is celebrated in other countries. Perhaps you could share with us here? Or you could even visit our site at Unique Japan to find some presents for your loved ones!

No comments: